In Memoriam



They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.


Lawrence Binyon (1869 - 1943), "For the Fallen"




When you go Home, tell them of us and say,
 For your Tomorrow, we gave our Today

John Maxwell Edmunds (1875 – 1958), epitaph, War cemetery, Kohima, India




The Brookwood Cubs and Scouts took on a project to find out about those named on the commemorative plaque in the Memorial Hall, and have presented moving statements on the individuals at successive Remembrance Day services, bringing home the reality of their youth and of the hardships they suffered. 

Their stories are respectfully told below, and it is planned to incorporate the information into a Book of Remembrance at the Halls. 


Copyrights are gratefully acknowledged.  Research credits –Jane Pettinger, Janet Stone, Susan Thornton.




Wilfred Bolingbroke


Wilfred lived in Brookwood in 1 Victoria Villas with his parents until 1913 when he was 16. They moved into the newly-built home called The Homestead, at 142 (now 158) Connaught Road. His father Alfred was employed as a Monumental Engraver by the London Necropolis Company, who owned and managed Brookwood Cemetery and the surrounding land where Brookwood village now stands. 

Wilfred was born in 1896 and early into the Great War enlisted in Bisley, joining the third battalion of the Tank Corps (formerly the Machine Gun Corps). He served as a Private in Flanders and France. It is highly likely that he was part of the Battle of Cambrai - St. Quentin (27 September - 9 October 1918). This was the main British contribution to the attack on the Hindenburg line and succeeded in pushing back the Germans to the River Selle.  The war was to last just one month more, but sadly Wilfred was killed in action on 8 October 1918, aged just 22 years.

A condolence lettter sent to his parents indicate he was killed whilst gallantly fighting the retreating Germans. His tank received two direct hits; Wilfred died instantly. His loss is said to have broken his mother's heart.  He was her only child.  His body lies in the Cemetery at Busigny.  

Sources -  Commonwealth War Graves Casualty Record and grave photo,   Medals Roll,  1911 Census,  Busigny cemetery photo, Condolence letter, The Brookwood Cemetery Society editor Margaret Hobbs.






















John Leopold George Brock


John’s parents baptised him at Thornton Heath near Croydon on 26 December 1908.  His parents were Leopold Charles Brock (1881-1953), a builder, and Emily Caroline Gater Brock (1885-1923). In 1911 the family lived with his grandfather George Frederick Gater (a baker) and his aunt Minnie Jane Gater at 1 York Road, West Croydon.  His sister Elsie Minnie married in Woking in 1937.  In 1935 John was living at Gibbs Acre, Pirbright and working as a hospital attendant, probably at Brookwood Hospital. On 1 May 1935 he married Kathleen Florence Rands of Brookwood at Pirbright Church. Her father lived in Brookwood and was a coachman. John and Kathleen had a son, Michael J Brock, in late 1939.

John joined the Royal Artillery and fought as a Bombardier in the Western Europe campaign during 1944-45.  He was killed in action on 13 June 1944, seven days after the D-day landings in Normandy. That day the Germans counter-attacked the advancing Allied troops at Villers-Bocage. John was likely involved. John was buried at Ranville War Cemetery, Calvados, near Caen.


Sources - Baptism and Registry records, The Croydon Roll of Honour.




















Albert Devereux 



Albert was the son of William and Mary Devereux. He was born in 1897. They lived at 2 Connaught Road.  He joined The Queen’s (Royal West Surrey) Regiment.  He served as a private in the 6th Battalion and was sent to France on 1 June 1915.   The Queen’s became involved in the Battle of the Somme from the start and sustained heavy losses almost immediately.  They remained at the front line until 14 August 1916 when they were moved to an area described as quiet, although still very close to enemy lines.  His battalion often took part in night raiding parties to gather information on the enemy.


 On the night of 5 December 1916, Albert was one of 74 men who took part in an exploratory night raid against the enemy trenches.  The conditions were good, with the night sky covered in cloud.  Then the cloud cleared, revealing a bright full moon.  The Captain recalled the men to the British Lines, but too late. Two heavy trench shells fell, killing Albert and three of his comrades.  He was just 19.  Albert was awarded the 1915 Star, and the Victory and the British Medals.


Albert is buried in Wailly Orchard Cemetery, Pas de Calais, France.



Sources - Commonwealth War Graves Casualty Record and grave photo,   Medals Roll,   Report on action and cemetery photo,  and trenches map and photo.



















Frank Laurence Fulton



Frank was the son of George and Isabella Lansdown Fulton who , born in Wandsworth on 15 September 1897. He had three elder brothers and an elder sister, Ethel. His father was a Queens Prize target shooting champion and ran a gunsmith business near Wimbledon. The National Rifle Association moved from there to Bisley in 1905, with their original wooden huts with verandahs. Frank lived with his family at 4 Victoria Villas, Brookwood.  Frank was baptised on 25 March 1911 at to Saint Michael and All Angels Church, Pirbright.

Frank followed his father’s interest and became a shooting instructor by 1914, when he was nearly 17. Frank and his elder brother Arthur enlisted on 4 August 1914, the day that war was declared. They joined the Queen’s Westminster Rifles, who shot at Bisley. His father George also voluntarily enlisted, aged 57, as an armourer to the same Batallion, together with Ethel’s husband from Pirbright, Richard de Rupe Roche. (George survived the war; Richard died in France in 1915, leaving Ethel with a young daughter.)


Frank became a Corporal with the 2nd/16th Battalion, London Regiment (Queen’s Westminster Rifles) and went on to serve in France near Vimy Ridge. His unit were transferred to Greece, and participated in the Christmas Day 1915 landings at Katerini, south west of Salonika. They later marched to what is now Macedonia, to attack the Bulgarians near the Vardar river. They came under heavy shellfire and, with inadequate trenches prepared for them, suffered heavy casualties.  Frank was wounded and evacuated via the Field Hospital back to Karasouli.  Frank died on 20 March 1917, aged just 19. 


He is buried in Karasouli Military Cemetery in Greece.



Sources -  Commonwealth War Graves Casualty Record, cemetery and grave photo,   Medals Roll and 1911 Census, Pirbright Church baptism records, Pirbright Historians.


























Frank Mitchell



Frank was born on 8 February 1892 to George and Martha Mitchell. His father was a carter on Lawford’s Farm in Bridley. He was christened on 9 April 1892 at Pirbright Parish Church.  He lived at 1 Connaught Cottages, Brookwood with his three brothers and a sister in 1911.  


His regiment was the 19th (Queen Alexandra’s Own Royal) Hussars. He was sent to France on 23 August 1914.  


Frank survived the fighting, however he died of pneumonia on 3 March 1919 at 44 Casualty Clearing Centre near Cologne, some four months after the Armistice of 11th November 1918.  His regiment was part of the first British Army of the Rhine, created in March 1919 to control troops on the British occupation zone along the Rhine.  The First World War officially ended on 18 June 1919 when the Treaty of Versailles was signed.  Frank was awarded the 1914 Star and the British and Victory Medals


Frank lies in Cologne Southern Cemetery.  



Sources -  Baptism, Census and War Grave Commission records and photographs.























Charles Frederick Neve MSM



Charles was born in 1882 in the Heigham district of Norwich, the son of George and Mary Anne Neve. By 19 he had become a career soldier and was stationed in Heavitree, Devon.  In 1911 he was 29 and had been promoted to Sergeant, stationed at Deepcut near Brookwood.  


Charles was awarded the Star Medal for war service in 1914, and the British and Victory Medals. Additionally, he was awarded the Meritorious Service Medal, which entitled him to use the initials after his name. We do not have any details of when this medal was awarded.  When he retired he had achieved the rank of Temporary Warrant Officer 1st Class in the Royal Field Artillery.


In 1916 aged 35 he married Any Mabel Taylor from Pirbright, ten years his junior, at St Michael and All Angels Church in Pirbright.  They lived then at 141 Connaught Road.


Charles died at home of tuberculosis in 1923 aged 41.



Sources - Army records, Census, Registries.   Thanks to Colin Light for his recollections.

























Cyril John Overton-Davies


Cyril was born in Shropshire in 1917, the son of John Harold and Lucy Overton-Davies.  He married Doris Eileen Hill of Brookwood. Her brother Bob ran the garage and his wife the cafe at the end of Connaught Road. Cyril served in the 1st battalion of the Grenadier Guards Armoured Division and rose to the rank of Lance Serjeant

Cyril took part in the Allied Offensive in North Western Europe, which began with the Normandy Landings of 6 June 1944 (D - Day).  It must be remembered that this historic day was just the beginning of the liberation of France. There were to be many tumultuous days ahead as the allies pressed through France.  One of their key objectives was liberation of the city of Caen.  Operation Greenwood was an attack launched on 18 July 1944 by the British Army to the east of the city.  Major Chappell, a friend of Cyril, recalled later that the bombardment began at 5.30am with a heavy bombardment by air and sea on German positions, lasting some two and a half hours. "I remember the sky full of aircraft, wave after wave pounding enemy defences," he said.  “At the church in Cagny... we came under fire from enemy mortars.”¯  Major Chappell was injured in the attack in which sadly Cyril lost his life.

Cyril is buried at the military cemetery in Banneville-La-Campagne, alongside over two thousand other Commonwealth citizens who perished in the same campaign.

Following the war, Cyril’s family lived in Brookwood at 222 Connaught Road.


Sources - Commonwealth War Graves Commission, Skegness Standard article 2 Nov 2009, CWGC Photos























 John Frederick Painter,  DFC



John was born around 1918 and lived at 175 Connaught Road, then known as “Maryland”. His father William was the coal merchant; he married Edith Mary Fulk.  The coal yard was to the left of the house just where 171a - 173a and their garages are today.  He joined the Royal Air Force and was stationed at RAF Kinloss Morayshire, 19 Operational Training Unit, flying Armstrong Whitworth Whitley bombers used to train bomber pilots. He was flying out of RAF Forres, a satellite airfield to Kinloss.  He later became a Flying Officer with No 102 Squadron of Bomber Command. 


On 22 October 1940 he was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross in recognition of gallantry and devotion to duty in the execution of air operations.  This was probably given at the end of a tour of operations, perhaps the one when the squadron was loaned to Coastal Command.  They spent six weeks in September - October 1940 carrying out convoy escort duties from Prestwick.


Soon after, however, on 7 November 1940, at 2.40 pm, John’s plane N1440 dived from 1200 feet over Forres, crashed and exploded in the garden of a house called Glenernie in Tolbooth Street, Forres.  All six crew were killed. No civilians were injured. He was just 22 years old.


He is buried in Brookwood Cemetery in St. Matthew’s Avenue.



Sources Commonwealth War Graves records, London Gazette, Forres Gazette, Flight magazine, Air Force records, Death certificate



















Arthur Pickersgill



Arthur was born in Halifax, the son of Harry and Florry Pickersgill.  In the 1930’s , Arthur completed a year’s training at Morris’s car making plant in Birmingham.  In 1938, he moved to Pirbright Camp with the aim of helping to set up the Transport Division.  Soon, his family, his wife May (known to all as Mrs. Pick) and his children (June aged 4 and a half and Leo aged 2) followed to a house in Brookwood. 


Arthur rose to the rank of Serjeant with the Coldstream Guards:  June recalled clearly his wonderful sense of humour and smart uniform, complete with impressive Bearskin!  Leo, too, was very proud of his soldier father and often stood at the front gate, dressed in his soldier’s uniform, saluting at all the troops as they marched past. 


Sadly, Serjeant Pickersgill was killed on Tuesday 24 March 1942.  He is buried in Brookwood Military cemetery.


When the war ended, his widow, Mrs. Pick, worked hard on the committees formed to make the building of Brookwood War Memorial Hall possible.  She died in 1993.  Leo - who was a 1st Brookwood Cub - became an inspector in the London Metropolitan police. 


We thank June Pickersgill very much for her personal memoir of her father.



Sources – Commonwealth War Grave Commission




















Alonza Charles Platts



Alonza was born in 1900, the third of seven children of Freeman William and Rhoda Platts, a Leicestershire coal miner and blaster. In 1911 the family lived in Griffydam, near Ashby-de-la-Zouch. He joined the Royal Leicestershire Regiment in 1918. On 19 December 1920 Alonza married Elizabeth Mary Fain(?) of Pirbright at St. Michael and All Angels Church in Pirbright.


Alonza went with the 1st Battalion to India in 1924 and was promoted to Quartermaster in 1926. He served in Egypt and again later in India, returning to England in 1931 to become Regimental Quarter Master. He served in the Second World War and was promoted to Lieutenant in 1941. He was invalided out of service due to poor health in 1942.


He died on 26 April 1943 and is buried at Coalville (Hugglescote) Cemetery. His wife Mary died in 1985 aged 90 and was buried with him.



Sources - 1911 Census, Church and Army records, London Gazette, War Graves Commission records.  



















Sydney George Eric Reason



Sydney was born in 1910 to Sydney Alfred and Charlotte Reason, who in 1911 lived with his parents  and his elder brother Kenneth in Leamington, Warwickshire. His father was a carman on the Great Western Railway. Sydney married Hilda Waite in Chelsea during late 1936.


He joined the Coldstream Guards and rose to become a Drill Sergeant - Warrant Officer 2nd Class.


He died on 14 September 1944 aged 37.


He is buried in the Leopoldsburg War Cemetery 42 miles east of Antwerp in Belgium.



Sources - War Grave records, 1911 Census, Registry records. 


























 Cyril Henry Sheather



Cyril fought in both the First and the Second World Wars.  Cyril was born in Peasmarsh, Sussex in 1899, the son of Henry and Mary Sheather.  Cyril joined the Grenadier Guards under-age in 1914. 19 was the legal minimum age for armed service overseas. Cyril was a Lance Sergeant when the Great War ended in 1918, and was awarded the British Service Medal and the Victory Service Medal. Cyril had become a regular soldier, and had risen to become the Regimental Sergeant Major of the First Battalion Grenadier Guards when the Second World War broke out in 1939. Sadly, he was killed on Saturday 1 June 1940, during the defence of the Dunkirk-Nieuport perimeter.  He was 41.  Cyril is buried in Coxyde Military Cemetery, Belgium. 


Cyril married Norah between the Wars, and they had two daughters and a son. Norah's sister lived in Brookwood - Mrs Minnie Giles, who lived at 135 (now 225) Connaught Road. The Sheather family used to visit Brookwood regularly from their home in married quarters in London.


After Cyril died in 1940, Norah and the three children (Maureen-8, Noel-7, and Theresa-18 months) had to leave their quarters, and came to live in Brookwood with Minnie. Noel became a Cub and later a Scout with the 1st Brookwood group.  Norah, Cyril's widow, remained in Brookwood until her death in 1972.  Minnie's younger daughter Nora stayed at 225.


Akela then was Miss Helah Johnston, who became Mrs Helah Hill. Helah was instrumental in founding the Hall, and stayed in Brookwood remaining closely involved in its management and oversight until her death.


Many thanks to the Sheather family for their information.



Sources – Medals Roll, Army and Commonwealth War Graves Commission records. 























Edward Stevens



Edward was the younger brother of John and Walter Stevens (see below), born on 9 August 1896.


He also joined The Queen’s (Royal West Surrey) Regiment, in Guildford in 1916.  He was posted to France after a short period of initial training.


He died in action aged just 19 on the Somme battlefields on 15 July 1916; his body was never recovered.


He was awarded the Victory and the British Medals. His name is listed on the Thiepval Memorial 20 miles northeast of Amiens.



Sources - War Graves Commission, Army records. 














John Stevens 



John James Stevens was the second son of Walter and Emma Stevens. His father was a plasterer living in Pirbright when John was born on 1 January 1894.  The family later lived at 2 Rose Cottage, later 113 Connaught Road, Brookwood.  In 1911 John lived at the same address, with his elder brother Walter, and younger siblings Winifred, Edward, Emma, Reginald and a new baby brother. 


John stated on enlistment in Guildford on 26 January 1915 (with his brother Walter) that he worked as a labourer.  He had just turned 21, and he at first joined the Queen’s Regiment with Walter. He was transferred after initial service training to the Northamptonshire Regiment. He was posted abroad with the British Expeditionary Force to France on 27 July 1915, and was wounded in action in July 1916 from a gunshot wound in the left knee. He was evacuated back to England, and was in hospital in Gravesend, Kent until October 1916 before being transferred to Shoreham by Sea for recuperation until March 1917.  He was then classed as Category B and transferred to Sittingbourne, where he presumably was based.  On 21 April 1918 he returned to France and joined the 3rd Batallion.  He was wounded on 8 July 1918 and he died in France on 31 August 1918.  He was 24 years old.


The telegram sent to his parents read “Regret to inform you 45625 Pte. J. Stevens, 6th (Batallion) Northampton Regiment, Died of Wounds in 33 Casualty Clearing Station, France August 31st 1918.”


John must have been bravely involved in his final military action, as he was awarded the Military Medal, recorded in the London Gazette on 13 March 1919 and 1 April 1919.   John is buried in the Daours Cemetery east of Amiens.



Sources -  Commonwealth War Graves Casualty Record, cemetery and grave photo,   Medals Roll, medical records and transfer records. Telegram. 

























Walter Oliver Stevens



Walter was the elder brother of John and Edward Stevens, also commemorated on the plaque in Brookwood Memorial Hall.  He is the third member of the Stevens family on the plaque.  Walter was born on 20 January 1893, and was baptised the next day at home.  This happens when a baby is not expected to live more than a few days. He survived, and was “received” into the Church a week later.


Walter joined up to the 7th Queen’s (Royal West Surrey) Regiment when he had just turned 22, with his younger brother John, in Guildford on 26 January 1915 declaring he was a labourer. He was wounded in France on 1 July 1916 by shrapnel, fracturing his left ankle. He was transferred to England from Rouen on 7 July 1916 on Hospital Ship Asturias to convalesce at 2nd Manchester General Hospital. Following no improvement to his ankle, he was discharged on medical grounds on 1 June 1917 with a surgical boot to support his ankle. Walter was awarded 1915 Star, and the Victory and British Medals. Also, he was awarded the Silver War Badge. The Badge was introduced by the government, to be worn at all times, to display the wearer as having served and been discharged honourably.


He was re-employed as a plasterer by Messrs Faggeter, Builders in Brookwood. He was working as a porter at Brookwood Station on 22 July 1919 when he was accidentally knocked down by a passing train and died, aged 26.  The accident may have resulted from his disability caused by his war injury.



Sources - Baptism records, Army records, death certificate.  Thanks to Colin Light for his recollections.



















Edward John Veale



Ted was born in 15 November 1894 in Ringwood, Hampshire and lived in Brookwood at 5 Connaught Road from around a year old, for around five years from 1896, with his parents Henry (Harry) and Mary, and elder brothers George and William and elder sisters Alice and Cicely (Cissy). His father ran a refreshment cafe from their home, which may have been an old railway carriage. The family moved to Knaphill around 1900 initially living in Market Place, later at 5 Holly Thorn Cottages, Queens Road. Ted stayed on at Brookwood School until he was ten and then transferred to Knaphill school.


Ted enlisted on 11 September 1914 in Norwich with the Norfolk Regiment. He was posted to France six months later, in May 1915. He was wounded in action within three months, receiving gunshot wounds to his right foot. Ted convalesced in France and rejoined his regiment four weeks later in September 1915.


Ted died of wounds received in action on 19 February 1916 aged just 20 years old.  Ted was awarded the 1915 Star, the Victory Medal and the British Medal.


Ted is buried in Vermelles British Cemetery near Bethune.




Sources - Census 1901, 1911, Brookwood School Admissions register 1900, Army and War Grave records.












Frederick Webb



Frederick Webb was born at Lock Cottage on 29 October 1896, where he lived with his father and mother, Edward John and Margaret, and two elder children. In 1901 they moved to near the Royal Oak in Pirbright whilst Edward worked as a builder’s labourer, the canal trade having diminished in competition from the railways.   The family moved later to Connaught Road and then back to Lock Cottage.  The children went to Brookwood School.  In 1911, Frederick was 15 and was working as a butcher’s boy, living in Lock Cottage with six other siblings.


Frederick enlisted with the 5th Batallion, Royal Irish Regiment and sailed for the Dardanelles in July 1915, when he was 19 years old. They landed in Suvla Bay, Gallipoli on 7 August, and met heavy opposition from the Turks under the mismanaged invasion.  They were redeployed to Salonika in September and advanced north to Macedonia before retreating from the opposing Bulgarians.  Frederick was reposted to the Western Front and joined the 2nd Batallion, Prince of Wales Leinster Regiment (Royal Canadians) there a few months later.  In the summer of 1916 the unit was engaged in trench digging near Trones, and suffered from heavy bombardments. After a spell of rest near Ameins, Frederick moved north to Loos, where heavy trench mortar activity took place in late October.


Frederick was injured and died on 27 October. Two days later he would have reached just 20 years old.  


Frederick was buried in Barlin Cemetery, south of Bethune.   



Source – Pirbright Historians













T. Price



We have yet to learn about T. Price and shall be grateful for any information to complete our project.




Information please to –

John Thornton

01483 829926